Monday, 22 January 2007

Sonic

I spent Thursday and Friday in the gym again, Thursday I did 2 hours of conditioning, focusing on my quad's, gastro's (calves) and triceps, and Friday I did an hours upper body strength work.

My Saturday started as usual - doing 4 hours or so at work before meeting the others in town for around 1:30. My luck being what it is, the weather stayed dry for another 15mins or so before it turned nasty and we retreated to the undercover spot. We spent a few minutes bouncing about but not really doing much as it was so cold and when your hands are really cold your skin has minimum friction on the walls there so it makes it difficult and dangerous to do much. This, however played no part in what happened next....

Sonic (still don't know his real name - but I have called him that ever since I first met him wearing a sonic T-shirt) was eyeing up a movement and like the curious person I am, I went over and he asked me if it would be possible to do a 'kash' to 'cat' off one of the walls onto a rail (the rail has 2 horizontal bars). I just gave him a glare and asked him why he would ever want to, even if he could... Naturally he couldn't answer and I explained a simple cat pass to arm jump would be much more appropriate. He didn't seem like he was capable of doing such a combination (even though the wall and rail were about the same height and only 5 feet apart) so I thought I'd show him how. I spat on my hands a little and rubbed them together to get the friction on the wall, lined it up and went for it. I passed the wall but as I landed on the rail I only got the tip of my heals onto the lower bar, so they instantly slipped and my lower legs went through the middle of the rail and the back of my knees smashed into the bottom bar. I then proceeded to fall backwards and as I did so my shins cracked straight into the top bar. I was left with two very bruised and grazed shins and a dead hamstring. Such a simple combination that I have done many times on many different walls/rails... and it went so badly wrong.

Naturally the pain from my shins was overwhelming for the first ten minutes - especially as I hit them as hard as I did and I hit an old wound on one shin. I did get moving about a little after a while but then the tendons/muscle at the bottom of my left hamstring (where I smashed into the rail) really started hurting and every time I squatted (from a jump etc) my calf put pressure on the tendons and it caused me considerable pain. Needless to say I was about done for the day.

It got worse that night and I could not find a position to lie that didn't put pressure on the back of my leg or stretch it (well I could but every little movement was very uncomfortable). I did get some sleep eventually and when I woke up it felt half as bad and I went to meet the others (Ali, Hollie, Jamie, and Jim) for the day's jam.

We met up in Leeds and Jim drove us all to Horbury - saving us all time and money - cheers.
On the way there the weather took a turn for the worse and everywhere was soaked when we got there and met Theo. The rain and SNOW did seize for periods but was too heavy for the place to dry at all and after a couple of hours of doing close to nothing we gave in and went back to Leeds uni. Horbury is soooo good - I always say it's West Yorkshire's answer to Lisses - and has so many small spots along with a few main ones that all have so much potential, but the weather won’t let us take advantage of it this time of year.

When we got back to Leeds we spent a while warming up in the student union and Jim left for a more tempting Sunday lunch followed by Alistair and Hollie going trouser shopping soon after. This left me and Jamie... again... The sky was now deep blue but everywhere was still really soaked. We ended up just 'moping about' looking at possible new movements, checking some rarely used spots out and just generally discussing parkour - techniques, ideas, beliefs, training, other traceurs, etc. This was quite entertaining and killed a couple of hours.

I am spending more and more time training with Jamie these days. Him and the rest of CDV are the only guys that have anything close to the same thoughts/ideas and general mindset as me and jam regularly. Jamie is, in my eyes, slightly more advanced than the others and this is probably the reason I get on well and train really well with him.
[EDIT: My apologies to the man… But I also rate Liam as a traceur and spend a lot of time training with him. A lot of the time it ends up being just us two, training well together, pushing each other, doing some control work or working on a particular technique… The only reason I didn’t mention him before was because I had the weekend in my head and didn’t see much of Liam during the two jams... Again, sorry for not including you before]

It is now Monday and on top of the bruised shins and tender tendons my feet and ankles are achy. This begs me to ask myself if the step up in the size of jumps (now jumping down from around 7 foot quite regularly) that I have taken recently was too soon. I haven't really gone near drops of over 5 foot for almost 8 months now but felt my legs were conditioned enough and my landings were good enough to take a greater impact and I am now doing jumps that are around 10 - 12 foot across and up to 7 foot high - jumping up and over and landing almost like I would a vertical drop. I rarely touch any part of my heal on the floor or make a slap on impact but thinking back I did hit my heals a couple of times when I didn't concentrate and it could be because of those times I now have achy feet.
I don't know - I am going to stick with the jumps for now but will seriously tone it down if anything like this keeps occurring!

Peace Y'all

4 comments:

Alistair said...

And to cap it all off, I wake up on monday morning freezing cold and with an aching head and a dry and incredibly sore throat and intense pain every time I cough. Fantastic, way to ruin my training plans for this week. I'm trying to get back up to near full power for the weekend again though, hopefully I can manage that.

I find it interesting that drops of that sort of height are causing you problems. Perhaps there is something to be said for my "noisy" landings :p. Agree that Jamie probably is a bit ahead of us but it's pretty much always been that way, can't hold it against him when he's such a nice guy haha. My aim in the longer term is to close that gap because Jamie always seems to be the embodiment of what I want to be in parkour, always those few steps ahead.

mcquade said...

Yeah it is always good to have someone slightly better to train with - something I lack a lot of the time. It was funny when me and Mart went to the Peaks and we were the least experienced there, yet back in Leeds we were/are 'just about' the most experienced guys *sighs* Such a good trip - I am already hoping Dave will be doing it again this year :P

As for the drops...
1. I can't be certain they are the cause of any sort of pain.
2. It's not so much the 7 foot of height - I can drop from that quite comfortably, but the way I am jumping across and precisioning puts a lot more pressure into my landings. You will see me jumping off the 6 foot wall next to the red rails (at the art gallery) and clearing up to about 11 foot before trying to stick my landing. It is those jumps that I am talking about.

Hope you get better for London - though I definitely can't make it now
Peace

Ben Nuttall said...

LMAO!! Kash to Cat. Brilliant thinking, Sonic!

You really showed him though, didn't you Scottie? Haha unlucky pal.

The stuff some noobs come ut with these days...it makes you chuckle.

mcquade said...

Haha ye, your not wrong there. Good to see in a way though... reminds me off how I have progressed and I can almost learn off them... I see them do a movement and naturally analise it thinking of how they should improve their technique - Often leading to a realisation of the fact I can improve mine in a similar way... Kinda like analising a video of yourself

Peace