I went to the gym after college again yesterday, and again I was loving being back there. My upper body strength is coming along nicely now and I bench pressed more than I ever have done before, and that was when I wasn't feeling too great either. Woot.
I did however aggravate a slight groin strain and by the end of the session it wasn't feeling too clever at all.
Today came around, I went to the garage where I work at the usual 8:30 but forgot it wasn't open until the 8th. We normally still have some work to do though but because neither of my bosses were around I gave myself the day off. This was good in the sense I could now spend 4 more hours in Leeds but bad because I am skint at the moment and need the money the garage owes me.
I got to Leeds Art Gallery for around 10 o'clock did some warming up there and introduced myself to Alex's two mates, (sorry I have forgotten your names - I had no chance of remembering them to be honest) who were in Leeds for the first time today.
From there we went to the church spot along with Dec and Liam and traversed almost the entire building (around 3 sides) and came across a great arm jump that we had never spotted before. It was about 9 foot at a guess with a nice overhang to grip onto, I did it relatively easy but was well impressed when Liam and Alex also stuck it nicely. Especially Alex who has been training only 3 months now!
DaN, Joe, Cunni met us there, along with Stacey who was there to take a few pics for her photography course at college, and we moved on to the scaffolding. I tried to attempt a nearby cat pass - precision but the groin strain I have sustained is on the front of my groin so when I went to pull my legs through the cat pass it was rather painful and not worth doing. Liam did a nice one though, one that has only ever been landed by myself and Jamie before today, so I guess Liam took home the technique and confidence he got in the gym on Tuesday.
My groin was hurting, but not bad enough for me not to drill the various underbar combinations I have come up with at previous visits to that spot and managed to come up with a couple of new ones involving 360 twists through the bars. I also did a set of 10 muscle ups with relative ease compared to the last time I was there, though apart from the first couple they were all done by going over one shoulder first. I then asked daN to film the underbars and as I did one of the twists, I twisted on my shoulder too far, and because I was doing it that fast it put enough force into it to partially dislocate it. I felt it come out slightly and pop back in and got the same 'deadening ache' I have got with previous dislocations, but for whatever reason this only lasted around 10 minutes. I was actually considering getting it checked out at the hospital because the pain was so bad, so it was a strange sensation when I was able to train again 15 minutes later.
We got moved on and although I was able to train again it started to rain and we didn't get much done for an hour or so. I just did a bit of control and balance work on a low thin wall. We got out of the rain by going to the undercover spot where we met a few others and had a game of tig. My groin was hurting too much when I was running about at a fast pace so I sat and rested.
The rain cleared and because everyone was buzzing from tig, we headed back to the art gallery for another game. On the way there Camack spotted a really nice 10 ft arm jump that was within a few inches of my physical limit because the landing was quite high for the distance so, even with the groin injury I couldn't resist attempting it. I jumped straight down at it on my first go and didn't land it, Camack then made the distance look easy by landing it but really needs to work on his technique as it looked rather ugly. I got it as good as it gets on my second go, realizing the error of my ways I jumped up, over and onto the it keeping my feet nice and high for the landing.
We had several games of tig at the gallery before most of the guys left leaving only me and Liam. We did about an hours work on landings and control at Morrisons as it got dark, which finished the day nicely on a high, but "Oh My Days" I was knackered!
I would have some footage to show from the day but on the way back from the Uni the top came off my water bottle and I ended up with a 2 inch deep puddle of water in my bag soaking everything including my cam corder. It had so much water inside it that when I lifted it out the water actually poured out of it for 30 seconds or so. I tuck the battery off it and it is now on my radiator drying out so hopefully there wont be any damage done, but I am not too worried as I have insurance on it so if all else fails...
Anyways Peace
Sunday, 7 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah real nice blog that scott hope the camera is ok
From what Liam said as well, sounds like a fantastic day, the new armjumps sound fun. Glad that the tig is really becoming a regular feature as well. Looking forward to when I'll have the chance to actually be in Leeds on sat again (only 12 days to go :|).
Climbing with Hollie and the Corbetts yesterday was great fun despite the little mishap that resulted in me decking it from half way up the lead wall (~7 meters) and a fair amount of Hollie's skin being melted off her left hand (which meant I didn't hit very hard fortunatley). Got myself a grip trainer as well, my aching forearms are testament to how effective that is, that's a weakness of mine that climbing has highlighted so I plan to improve it hugely.
The grip trainer sounds cool - I kinda made Liam, Alex and his two buds from sheffield traverse 3 sides of the church on Saturday - something which would take us only a few minutes and apart from the bits where you have to hang and shimmy, we would find it quite easy. However, because it was the first time Alex and his mates had tried something like that they was saying all the way how it was hard work on their hands/grip. Just shows how we have improved our strength to take something like that for granted. :]
Anyway I hope Holl's hand wasn't too bad and I hope you have learnt not to fall :P
Peace
Post a Comment