Wednesday, 17 January 2007

'Girl' Attributes

Today I have spent recuperating and resting from yesterday. I have another math's exam tomorrow so I had the option to take the day off and even though I had math's classes to be at (they would have been helpful for the exam tomorrow) I just didn't have the motivation to get my ass there and abused my right to revise. :)
The large amounts of sleeping and rest I have got today have really helped me and with the exception of my quad's - which are still feeling achy - my body seems to have almost fully recovered from yesterday and the weekend (which I never fully recovered from).

What happened yesterday?
Well, me and Alistair had the same math's exam and realized that we both had the afternoon free, 'so naturally', we met in Leeds and did some training.

The weather was 50-50 and was only dry for half the day but that provided the opportunity to work on things we normally don't, and although at the time we was begging for dryness, looking back it was really good training. Without meaning to we ended up doing loads of bildering on sandstone walls we don't normally pass and I managed to scale/climb a couple of really cool hard walls without any climbing shoes. Well almost, I couldn't get passed the last metre on one. We also ended up doing loads of dynos and double dynos - probably because of the climbing mindset we had. My fingertips have taken the toll of the day and I have lost my fingerprints on several patches.

When it was dry we did loads of work on gaps, take offs, landings and general jumping techniques at the armories - something I find myself doing more and more of these days. We was drilling jumping 'up' and onto our landings on two of the yellow walls at the armories (you know the ones where there’s about a 2 foot height difference between them) and Alistair finally started to get some confidence with them - though they still need work man. ;) I managed to squish what little fear I had with the technique and can confidently do the same thing further down the wall where one of the slopes off so the height difference is about 4 foot (distance of just over 7).

We also drilled some tic tacs - something which, up until recently, I have neglected. Partly because I had thought of them as close to useless for a long time and partly because I was so bad/scared with them I avoided doing them. As I have been working on all my weak points over the last few months, I have gained so much ability and confidense with tic tacs. So much so that I am now finding uses for them in many places and I discovered a new tic tac at the art gallery that has never been noticed before - mainly because with my previous skill it wasn't something I would have ever considdered doing.

We met Hollie just as it was getting dark and went back to the art gallery where we drilled some lazys - throwing the outside leg over - and some climb-ups. I finally got my arms symmetrical and have discovered the technique for doing them like that. I just hope I can take the technique into muscle ups though I fear it won't help me as much as I would like. In jubilation of finally being able to do them I did 8 in a row with negatives but caught my wrists as I planted my hands on top of the wall with a few of them (didn't throw my shoulders high enough in the haste) and it now looks like I have been self harming again. :
Hollie and Ali worked on 'flick ups' (flicking up from the waist position on a wall into a 'cat pass stall') and I have to say Hollie got them better than Alistair did :P
Alistair beaten by a girl hehe - At least it was all technique - Hollie has done more muscle ups than all of the Kaox lads put together - no offense to Hollie and the strength of girls in general but it has to be embarrassing when a girl is better at a strength exercise right?

^^ I really do have to stop comparing to Hollie and her 'girl' attributes - sorry darling.

We took a food break at subway - ugh - and discussed parkour for a while before heading to the under-cover spot for shelter from the now rainy weather, where we practiced some more jumps and precisions. I continued my form from the weekend and almost jumped 10 foot - a whole foot further than when I last measured out how far I could jump, 1-2 months ago!!! I can only put it down to the calf exercises I have been doing.

On the way home I was thinking how we had done a full 7 hours training and it was enjoyable despite the varying weather. I couldn't however think of something from the day that I was proud of. I always like to come away from a jam having done at least one thing that I am proud of and will think about as I drop off to sleep that night. I also figured out that I had ate and drank my way through £7 and I brought 2 large egg sandwitches with me and didn't eat at subway - the 'I like to think I'm healthy' fast food restaurant. I am eating far more than I have done beofore but I still am not getting the amount of protein I would like. For the best recovery and growth of muscles you should eat around 1 gram of protein per pound that you weigh every day - you will notice the difference in recovery straight away if you start eating a high protein diet. Obviously this is only if you train often enough and/or weight lift. This means I should be eating at least 150 grams of protein a day (compared to the RDA of 50g), the equivilent of 4 chicken breasts and 4 pints of milk. A target I fail to meet without protein shakes, and I am so skint at the moment that I can't afford any more supplements, so I will just have to try my best with my diet over the next few weeks.

Though I couldn't think about anything on the bus I realized later that I had landed a level precision onto a platform (raised from the floor) that was 9 foot across. A distance that I could not reach on the floor 2 months ago! Needless to say it was the largest precision I have ever landed. I also thought about how I had got '2 handed' climb-ups nailed, and I fell to sleep with a smile on my face. :)

Happy Peace

2 comments:

Hollie said...

Girls are cool!

AJWinslow said...

real nice blog tht, aint seen u at steel city in a while stil skint aye, am comin up to leeds this sat i aint gone up ther the past 2 weeks so al try get some gd stuff in this time